Due to great demand, the September ‘Dr Bike’ sessions are now full and can take no further bookings.
Keep an eye out for further opportunities for bicycle maintenance when the Havant Repair Cafe opens for business in the future.
For further information, please take this link to email the Havant Repair Cafe
What is ‘Dr Bike’?
The ‘Dr Bike’ initiative from Cycling UK recommends some simple safety checks on a bike and can include some of the following:
For further details take this link to open a Cycling UK article in a new browser tab.
- Working on each cycle for a maximum of 30-minutes.
- Provision of a comprehensive ‘M-Check’ to ensure that the cycle is safe to ride.
- Replacement of small parts – a typical ‘Dr Bike’ health check may include some of the following cycle replacements and checks:
- Brakes – calliper and cable adjustment, cable, and pad replacement
- Gears – indexing, adjustment, and cable replacement
- Chain – check for wear, lubricate if necessary
- Tyres – puncture repair/tube replacement, inflated to recommended pressure (PSI)
- Other – check all nuts and bolts are correctly torqued; check headset and bottom bracket; check and replace missing bar plugs/cable end caps
How are we protecting people against Covid-19?
As part of safely providing these ‘Dr Bike’ sessions we will have a health and safety procedure in place including to minimise risk of spreading corona virus and to make sure that people feel safe while volunteering. We will ask visitors to agree to comply with these procedures before accepting their bikes for repair.
Why is Repair Café Havant running these sessions?
With Covid-19 the launch of the Repair Café was put on hold. There have been many changes since March and one of these is the increase in cycling and the demand for bikes. The Dr Bike sessions is aimed at helping the local community get some of those bikes safely on the road and carry out some basic checks and minor replacements if needed. We will be encouraging people to take their bike to other bike repair services for more complicated repairs. We are running this project as part of the Havant Get Up and Go programme.
When are the ‘Dr Bike’ sessions running?
We will run six sessions on the following days
- Tuesday 25 August 11am to 2pm
- Tuesday 1 September 11am to 2pm
- Tuesday 8 September 11am to 2pm
- Saturday 12 September 11am to 2pm
- Saturday 19 September 11am to 2pm
- Saturday 26 September 11am to 2pm