At a packed and vibrant public meeting in St Faith’s Hall on 22nd August 2012 many people registered interest in a Civic Society. A follow-up meeting was held at The Meeting Place, URC in September (attended by about 120 people) at which a speaker from the Petersfield Society gave a talk on civic societies. People agreed that this would be good for Havant, so an interim committee was formed.
The August and September meetings had been facilitated by Tim Dawes. Following the formal establishment of Havant Civic Society, the following Officers were elected:
Chair Bill Woods
Vice Chair David Smith
Secretary Carole Nash
Treasurer Ray Cantwell
who all continue in post following the most recent AGM in October 2013.
It has been a busy first two years for the Society, with a steep learning curve. During this period HCS has:
- Distributed regular newsletters to members
- Delivered hard copies of the first two newsletters throughout central Havant
- Forged links with other organisations
- Maintained a full Committee membership
- Held regular public meetings and committee meetings
- Established good working relations with HBC officers
- Constantly monitored planning applications and consulted members
- Hosted guest speakers on a range of topics
We have made an excellent beginning and aim to achieve a great deal more, with the active support of our membership.