Minutes of Committee Meeting 15th September 2014

Present: Tim Dawes, Bill Woods, Christopher Evans, Annette Harley, Carole Nash

1 Apologies were received from Beryl Francis, Sara Smith, David Smith, Ray Cantwell

2 Preparation for AGM

It was agreed that there is no need for scrutiny and revision of our Constitution as this was done at the last AGM. The accounts have been audited and a bottle of wine for the auditor (Harry Crossley) was approved. The bank balance is £459.57 credit. AH has been posting the need for new committee members on Facebook and will send a press statement to PO9, Jeff Travis at The News and notify Angel Radio. We need a new secretary, vice-chair and publicity and communications officer.

Consideration was given to a strictly business AGM in a small URC room on 20th October or using the main hall on 21st with a speaker. The latter was decided, with David Willetts invited to speak; BW will phone his secretary, Jackie Scaddan. If he is not available TD will find an architect instead.

There will be no further public meetings this year – dates for 2015 were agreed as Tuesday 10th February and Tuesday 9th June. CN will book main URC hall and confirm AGM booking.

3 Market Parade

The Public Consultation is on Wednesday 17th September 3-7pm in URC. CN will collect any useful printed material for AH. Comments from members will be consolidated by CN to form a collective view.

4 Community Right to Bid for White Hart

BW explained that considerable factual evidence is required about the use of the building. Nicki Conyard (HBC) had provided helpful examples of successful bids. BW and CE had worked on the application – BW will email the form to TD who will provide the evidence.

Regulations prevent such applications be made for church buildings.

5 Upcoming Planning Applications

The applications for 10A The Pallant (now withdrawn) and further housing above Davies Chemist are not contentious. More housing in Bartons Road is included in the Allocations Plan. Town End House has been purchased by a software company LiveLink along with all of the disabled parking bays used by The Spring. CN will contact Sophie Fullerlove for clarification and comment.

6 Newsletter Communication updates

The next edition will be published 26-29th September. CN was unable to provide updates to our membership data, BW has not received any subs recently. AH will contact SS directly to ensure her data is up to date. DS will take over the MailChimp operation. The account is in AH’s name – she will set an account in the name HCS. AH will produce a flyer. The new secretary will be asked to keep AH informed (via minutes) so that Facebook can be updated.

It was acknowledged that WordPress is cumbersome; Moonfruit might be considered instead.

7 Society’s accounts and membership updates

Covered in 2 and 6 above

8 A.O.B.

CN doubted the value of continuing to renew the Freezone HavantCivicSociety.org.uk domain name. Apparently this is essential, but will be funded by HCS in future.

TD urged participation in the LitFest and provided programmes for onward distribution.

CN has not pursued with HBC’s conservation officer reports of unauthorised work at the White Hart, but will do so with specific examples provided by CE and TD. The music venue has now become The Wheelwright’s Arms.

Date of next meeting

Monday 27th October 2014 was agreed.

Minutes of Committee Meeting 15th September 2014

DRAFT Minutes of Committee Meeting 15th September 2014 NEXT MEETING Monday 27th October 2014

Present: Tim Dawes, Bill Woods, Christopher Evans, Annette Harley, Carole Nash

1 Apologies were received from Beryl Francis, Sara Smith, David Smith, Ray Cantwell

2 Preparation for AGM

It was agreed that there is no need for scrutiny and revision of our Constitution as this was done at the last AGM. The accounts have been audited and a bottle of wine for the auditor (Harry Crossley) was approved. The bank balance is £459.57 credit. AH has been posting the need for new committee members on Facebook and will send a press statement to PO9, Jeff Travis at The News and notify Angel Radio. We need a new secretary, vice-chair and publicity and communications officer.

Consideration was given to a strictly business AGM in a small URC room on 20th October or using the main hall on 21st with a speaker. The latter was decided, with David Willetts invited to speak; BW will phone his secretary, Jackie Scaddan. If he is not available TD will find an architect instead.

There will be no further public meetings this year – dates for 2015 were agreed as Tuesday 10th February and Tuesday 9th June. CN will book main URC hall and confirm AGM booking.

3 Market Parade

The Public Consultation is on Wednesday 17th September 3-7pm in URC. CN will collect any useful printed material for AH. Comments from members will be consolidated by CN to form a collective view.

4 Community Right to Bid for White Hart

BW explained that considerable factual evidence is required about the use of the building. Nicki Conyard (HBC) had provided helpful examples of successful bids. BW and CE had worked on the application – BW will email the form to TD who will provide the evidence.

Regulations prevent such applications be made for church buildings.

5 Upcoming Planning Applications

The applications for 10A The Pallant (now withdrawn) and further housing above Davies Chemist are not contentious. More housing in Bartons Road is included in the Allocations Plan. Town End House has been purchased by a software company LiveLink along with all of the disabled parking bays used by The Spring. CN will contact Sophie Fullerlove for clarification and comment.

6 Newsletter Communication updates

The next edition will be published 26-29th September. CN was unable to provide updates to our membership data, BW has not received any subs recently. AH will contact SS directly to ensure her data is up to date. DS will take over the MailChimp operation. The account is in AH’s name – she will set an account in the name HCS. AH will produce a flyer. The new secretary will be asked to keep AH informed (via minutes) so that Facebook can be updated.

It was acknowledged that WordPress is cumbersome; Moonfruit might be considered instead.

7 Society’s accounts and membership updates

Covered in 2 and 6 above

8 A.O.B.

CN doubted the value of continuing to renew the Freezone HavantCivicSociety.org.uk domain name. Apparently this is essential, but will be funded by HCS in future.

TD urged participation in the LitFest and provided programmes for onward distribution.

CN has not pursued with HBC’s conservation officer reports of unauthorised work at the White Hart, but will do so with specific examples provided by CE and TD. The music venue has now become The Wheelwright’s Arms.

Date of next meeting

Monday 27th October 2014 was agreed.

Minutes of a Special Committee Meeting Thursday 14th August at short notice

Present: Tim Dawes, David Smith, Bill Woods, Christopher Evans, Carole Nash

This meeting was requested by Tim Dawes to formulate reaction to Grade 2 listing of White Hart.

1 White Hart listing as Community Asset

TD put the case for this – if and when the building comes onto the market a community organisation such as HCS may ask for a moratorium whilst attempts are made to raise funds to bring it into community ownership.

It is unclear whether the owner (who has not applied for a gaming licence) is aware of the implications of Listed Building status. No alterations can be made without specific LB consent.

CN will write to the appropriate HBC officers asking for the White Hart and St Faith’s Church Hall to be added to the Community Assets register, incorporating key points made by TD (viz. Both these premises have been used for a variety of community activities including the rehearsal and performance of dramatic productions, poetry, musical recitals and community meetings. The hall has also been used for community dances and sales of work and goods. Both are regarded as assets of value by the community.)

BW will phone an HBC planning officer to urge that any future planning consent is heard in public.

A meeting with the current owner is better held in abeyance.

2 Gazebo Garden

This space has not been well maintained recently and is often locked for many days in succession. We should approach HBC about improving both maintenance and access. It appears that those currently dealing with this (possibly Portsmouth and District Floral Arts Society) are no longer able to do so adequately. The formal meeting having concluded, the group went to the garden where it was clear that some work had been done recently, though considerably more is needed. It is not appropriate work for basic gardening enthusiasts as the planting has to be in keeping with the original scheme.

A vote was taken on each proposed action – all were unanimously agreed.

Minutes of Committee Meeting 3rd February 2014 

Minutes of Committee Meeting 3rd February 2014 

Present: Ray Cantwell, Bill Woods, Michael Blanch, Annette Harley, Christopher Evans, Carole Nash

1 Apologies were received from Beryl Francis, David Smith, Sara Smith

2 Treasurer’s update
RC provided a summary showing new membership since last the last committee meeting, disposable funds of £253.08 with no outstanding commitments. Mike Short, past treasurer of Havant Town Residents Association had told BW that he (MS) and the past chairman (Ivan Morley) agreed that it would be appropriate to transfer their residual bank balance (£177.49) to HCS. CN will write expressing thanks. We need to find a suitably qualified person, not a committee member to audit our accounts. CN will ask members.

Correspondence
Notice had been received of a Consultation Forum about an application to build 47 houses on farmland accessed via Bedhampton Hill. Community representatives from that area will speak; this is outside our area of immediate concern.

BW described key points from his recent email exchange with HBC following the White Hart decision and publication of the Statement of Community Involvement. This (SCI) is peppered with contradictions and inaccuracies. The process by which the community should be involved is not happening; engagement of ward councillors with residents is critical, but entirely absent. BW has arranged a meeting with HBC’s community planning officers – he (BW), CE and possibly others will attend at The Plaza 10 am Monday 10th February.

4 Planning Applications 
Major changes to determination of planning applications require us to re-assess our procedures. There is now little time between registration and decision, so CE will support BF in monitoring applications. There is even less time for the Civic Society to consult our members and submit a representative view to HBC. In any case, a collective objection is regarded as a single objection. Instead of using our consultation procedure CN will email members with application references and alerting them to contentious issues; members will be urged to make their individual views known, although apparently these will not actually be considered. Members will also be told that requests for an application to be fully discussed by the Development Management Committee must be send in writing to their ward councillor within 28 days of registration.

5 Subscriptions and Membership Renewal
Subscriptions were due in October, but few have paid. A reminder letter is needed, with details of paying by BACS, including apology if payment has been made in last few days. Mail-merged letters can be sent probably by SS; CN will coordinate. AH has prepared a Welcome letter for new members.

6 Publicising Public Meeting March 11
AH now has administrator access to HCS (Friends of Havant) Facebook pages, so will use this for publicity. Issue 4 of the newsletter to members will feature this meeting. Posters will be printed and (hopefully) displayed in Waitrose, Tesco, Wilkinsons, libraries, Lansgstone notice boards, church premises, The Spring and Davis Chemist. CN will distribute.

7 E-Newsletter
Issue 4 will be in the PDF format used previously, e-mailed to members. The12 without email will be distributed by Jim Davis who has offered to do this. Issue 5 will be produced by AH using MailChimp; this will improved the on-line appearance but the printed version layout will be less good.

8 Any Other Business
CE reported that the appeal against HBC’s refusal for part of the old vicarage wall in Lymbourn Road to be replaced by a gate had been unsuccessful.

MB said the condition of the railway footbridge just west of Havant station is now dangerous. CN will write to Network Rail.

AH has a draft of a suggested Data Protection policy for the society. This will be developed and included as an appendix to our constitution.

Thanks to Sara Smith were recorded for her work on the logo.

9 Date of Next Meeting

Monday May 12th was agreed.

Minutes of Committee Meeting 9th December 2013

Minutes of Committee Meeting 9th December 2013 NEXT MEETING tba

Present: Beryl Francis, Annette Harley, Christopher Evans, Tim Dawes, Ray Cantwell, Bill Woods, Sara Smith, David Smith, Carole Nash

Apologies were received from Michael Blanch

1 Committee members’ appointment to duties
BW Chairman
SS Membership Secretary (having been recruited specifically for this role)
AH Publicity; all should provide copy, AH will format the material
DS Vice-chair
BF Planning scrutiny
TD Special projects and Facebook (the latter with DS)
RC Treasurer
CE First support initially, until a particular role or preference becomes apparent
CN Secretary

CN will ensure committee members all know each others’ email addresses.
It was agreed that an appeal for funds could be made from time to time if our resources cannot cover venue hire and other expenses.
DS observed that Facebook was not popular with members; TD said it was complementary to the website – not essential, but useful for publishing dates and photographs.

2 Communication strategy
AH presented a comprehensive plan with actions, lead times, timescales and responsibilities.

Copy for PO9 can be written and sent in. The News (Portsmouth) needs a story, not simply “We are here”. Angel Radio are best contacted in person, Solent Radio provide good coverage. We could exchange newsletters with other local civic societies

AH is assessing printing quotes against our budget and proposed that the flyer and Welcome Pack for new members should be printed, but the newsletter distributed electronically (other than the 12 without email); there are full colour templates available for this.

Copy for the next newsletter is required by 27th January 2014. SS will complete the logo and approach Mercury Graphics for a vector copy in return for thanks in the newsletter. BW will interview John Pile for a report on English Heritage listing of the War Memorial.

3 Newsletter production schedule
These should be produced during February, June and September 2014 in time for public meetings and the AGM

4 Membership Renewal
The society was launched without sufficient attention to the mechanisms of joining or renewing membership and paying subscriptions. Now that SS has oversight of membership it is hoped that subscriptions which were actually due at the AGM will have been paid by 27th January. SS and RC will liase to ensure records are consistent.

5 Data Management
This was covered in 1, 2 and 4 above

6 Planning application Issues
BW had been unable to contact HBC’s planning offers, but will contine trying in order to establish how The White Hart change of use application will be decided. The development of Market Parade appears to be on hold. BF reported that work has already started on the Langstone Hotel south of the by-pass. TD said that no progress is visible with David Willetts’ house in West Street. CN will persue this by a letter hand-delivered to this property.

7 Dates and venues for 2014
We have 3 main events for 2014. Ideally we would hold these in the URC Meeting Place Main Hall – but all our preferred dates (pencilled in) are Mondays when the Main Hall is unavailable; we have to change either the venue or the dates. By moving the talk “How Conservation Impinges on Planning” from Monday 10th to Tuesday 11th March we could use the URC Main Hall. Before CN confirms this BW will ask the speaker whether this date is suitable. CN will check the Main Hall availability for Tuesday 8th July and Tuesday 21st October before investigating a room at The Spring.

8 Any Other Business
CN said that LRA had asked if the Civic Society has a preferred name for the fields behind the Royal Oak, which are to be designated a Local Green Space. Although some preferences were voiced the general opinion was that this is a matter for Langstone residents.

TD has custody of some large display screens which may be a useful community resource; he suggested the our Facebook page could be used to facilitate sharing of such resources by community groups.

TD has started arranging next year’s Literary Festival. Dates are 3rd-12th October 2014

9 Date of next meeting
To be arranged

Minutes of Committee Meeting 9th December 2013

Minutes of Committee Meeting 9th December 2013 NEXT MEETING tba

Present: Beryl Francis, Annette Harley, Christopher Evans, Tim Dawes, Ray Cantwell, Bill Woods, Sara Smith, David Smith, Carole Nash

Apologies were received from Michael Blanch

1 Committee members’ appointment to duties
BW Chairman
SS Membership Secretary (having been recruited specifically for this role)
AH Publicity; all should provide copy, AH will format the material
DS Vice-chair
BF Planning scrutiny
TD Special projects and Facebook (the latter with DS)
RC Treasurer
CE First support initially, until a particular role or preference becomes apparent
CN Secretary

CN will ensure committee members all know each others’ email addresses.
It was agreed that an appeal for funds could be made from time to time if our resources cannot cover venue hire and other expenses.
DS observed that Facebook was not popular with members; TD said it was complementary to the website – not essential, but useful for publishing dates and photographs.

2 Communication strategy
AH presented a comprehensive plan with actions, lead times, timescales and responsibilities.

Copy for PO9 can be written and sent in. The News (Portsmouth) needs a story, not simply “We are here”. Angel Radio are best contacted in person, Solent Radio provide good coverage. We could exchange newsletters with other local civic societies

AH is assessing printing quotes against our budget and proposed that the flyer and Welcome Pack for new members should be printed, but the newsletter distributed electronically (other than the 12 without email); there are full colour templates available for this.

Copy for the next newsletter is required by 27th January 2014. SS will complete the logo and approach Mercury Graphics for a vector copy in return for thanks in the newsletter. BW will interview John Pile for a report on English Heritage listing of the War Memorial.

3 Newsletter production schedule
These should be produced during February, June and September 2014 in time for public meetings and the AGM

4 Membership Renewal
The society was launched without sufficient attention to the mechanisms of joining or renewing membership and paying subscriptions. Now that SS has oversight of membership it is hoped that subscriptions which were actually due at the AGM will have been paid by 27th January. SS and RC will liase to ensure records are consistent.

5 Data Management
This was covered in 1, 2 and 4 above

6 Planning application Issues
BW had been unable to contact HBC’s planning offers, but will contine trying in order to establish how The White Hart change of use application will be decided. The development of Market Parade appears to be on hold. BF reported that work has already started on the Langstone Hotel south of the by-pass. TD said that no progress is visible with David Willetts’ house in West Street. CN will persue this by a letter hand-delivered to this property.

7 Dates and venues for 2014
We have 3 main events for 2014. Ideally we would hold these in the URC Meeting Place Main Hall – but all our preferred dates (pencilled in) are Mondays when the Main Hall is unavailable; we have to change either the venue or the dates. By moving the talk “How Conservation Impinges on Planning” from Monday 10th to Tuesday 11th March we could use the URC Main Hall. Before CN confirms this BW will ask the speaker whether this date is suitable. CN will check the Main Hall availability for Tuesday 8th July and Tuesday 21st October before investigating a room at The Spring.

8 Any Other Business
CN said that LRA had asked if the Civic Society has a preferred name for the fields behind the Royal Oak, which are to be designated a Local Green Space. Although some preferences were voiced the general opinion was that this is a matter for Langstone residents.

TD has custody of some large display screens which may be a useful community resource; he suggested the our Facebook page could be used to facilitate sharing of such resources by community groups.

TD has started arranging next year’s Literary Festival. Dates are 3rd-12th October 2014

9 Date of next meeting
To be arranged

Minutes of Committee Meeting 21st October 2013

Minutes of Committee Meeting 21st October 2013
Present: Bill Woods, Beryl Francis, Annette Harley, David Smith, Michael Blanch, Jim Davis, Carole Nash
Apologies were received from Tim Dawes
1 Planning Reports
BF said that there are currently no applications of local interest. The major matter is publication of the Local Plan (Allocations) documents; BF and CN had attended the HBC Cabinet meeting. There is now a public consultation period until 22nd November.  CN will distribute a link to the document on HBC’s website with a PDF from DS comprising the key material.  Members should be encouraged to comment individually and to contribute their views by email to CN by 8th November. A response from the Society will be developed by discussion at the AGM; this will be submitted before 22nd November.
Discussion centred on allocation for housing and mixed use within the town centre, particularly Market Parade, East Street and Town End House. Inclusion of affordable housing was noted, as was provision for community facilities. The map appears to indicate that the allocation for Market Parade includes the entire site (not just phase 1). JD commented that we should strive to preserve the best of the old and ensure that new development is very good.
BW had followed up concern from a resident about deviation from a planning application; this complaint proved to be unjustified.
3 Actions from Public Meeting at Bosmere School 
(a) AH provided a comprehensive range of thoroughly researched discussion material which will enable us to develop an effective communication strategy. The purpose is to keep members informed of all relevant issues linked to Havant, the Committee/Society, Planning Proposals and meetings in order to fulfil our remit and encourage continued/new membership.  Much discussion ensued covering a Welcome Pack for new members, an annual Renewal Pack and communication/contact with members. Distinction was made between the newsletter which will be distributed electronically (except 15 hand delivered paper copies) to members and flyers which will be full colour 6DL distributed throughout the town annually in the approach to the AGM. The latter will include static content (no dates) and must include information about how to pay membership fees. Richard Brown is able to arrange printing of about 2000 copies. AH was admired and thanked for her work in this area.
(b) Email consultation with members is intended for specific planning proposals, not the entire Allocations Plan.
4 Links to PO9 and other publications
This was deferred because of time pressure.
5 AGM Planning 
Publication of members’ benefits was covered in 3(a) and the strap-line accepted. Committee protocols were discussed, CN being particularly concerned about the burden of extra work created by erratic attendance. BW will draft a protocol. DS said the 1-year term for committee members had been agreed at the last meeting and should not be repeatedly re-visited. CN will produce a list of current committee members and responsibilities in time for the AGM. DS explained that concepts for a logo will be presented at the AGM and a final design produced depending on members’ comments. The possibility of setting up a closed Facebook group for was members was deferred. It was agreed that a skeleton structure of public meetings covering 2014 would be beneficial – Monday 10th March, Monday 7th July and AGM Monday 20th October were agreed. Other informal events (such as surgeries) could be arranged from time to time.  The due date for membership fees was debated – we wish to avoid asking for more money in January from those who paid for a year’s membership in October. The best (temporary?) fix appears to be paying by thirds. CN and AH will scrutinise our data and clean it up. Annual group membership for Langstone Village and Lanstone Residents associations might be set at £20 but no firm decision made. DS will draft a questionnaire for use at the AGM and will analyse the results.
11 Date of next meeting
This will be Monday 9th December, 7pm at 5 Grove Road
The meeting closed at 9:20pm